Top Five Songs That Speak to Me

October 27th, 2011

At one time or another, I’ve referred to all of “my” soul songs. These tend to be my go-to songs that center my heart and brain and blood. I listen to what they tell me and everything becomes still. And then my gut buzzes in my ears.

That’s how it should be, right? We need the stillness. And the words that make us buzz and become embedded like gravel in a shoe, or scar in tissue.

Here are my gravel scars:

Furr, Blitzen Trapper

“You can wear your fur

like a river on fire

But you better be sure

if you’re makin’ God a liar

I’m a rattlesnake, babe,

I’m like fuel on fire

So if you’re gonna get made,

Don’t be afraid of what you’ve learned”

Whatever it Takes, Sinead Lohan

“Take this morning say it walks on water

whatever that helps you to believe

You will find me down by the river

getting high on my mortality

I’ll be holding hands with my nameless beauty

or whoever wants to stand next to me”

Whatever it Is, Ben Lee

“Are you changing, are you changing, are you changing.

Do you know it, do you feel it, do you know it.

But you’re waiting, why’re you waiting, why’re you waiting.

Just do it, whatever it is.

there are secrets, there are secrets, there are secrets.

there are places, there are places, you can go to

they might tell you, yeah they’ll tell you, that you shouldn’t

One Red Thread, Blind Pilot

“I can’t remember the age that I was

but not that story that pumped in my blood

when you were the savior

and I was the taker of

oh where I was”

The Perfect Space, Avett Brothers

“I wanna have pride like my mother has,

And not like the kind in the bible that turns you bad.

And I wanna have friends that I can trust,

that love me for the man I’ve become and not the man that I was.”

This is in response to PROMPTuesday. (What are your songs?)

On October 27th, 2011, Jack@TheJackB said:

Ok, I will come back and share a few songs later. Caught my eye, but I need to think about it.

On October 27th, 2011, Cheryl @ Mommypants said:

Yegads. I’ve heard of exactly zero of these groups/songs. So, yes, I’m publicly admitting how unhip I am, as if there was any doubt whatsoever.

On October 27th, 2011, Alexandra said:

What??

Where is our

I WILL BE THE FLAME.

You were the first

you’ll be be the last.

I LOVE THAT FREAKIN SONG!!

On October 28th, 2011, Shary said:

“My gut buzzes in my ears.” I love this. I can remember feeling that way about songs when I was a teenager, but I haven’t felt it in a long time. Maybe I need to change the way I listen. A couple of songs that affect me now, even if it’s not as strongly, are Melody by Kate Earl and Even If It Breaks Your Heart by Will Hoge.

On October 28th, 2011, Aunt Snow said:

I am totally embarrassed that all of these are completely new to me. Thank you!

On October 30th, 2011, tinsenpup said:

Wow! So much awesome. I LOVE that you included Ben Lee, but the rest were all new to me. I immediately fell in love with Blitzen Trapper and paused for a mini Trapper-fest on Youtube before returning for more. Sinead Lohan won me over with her beautifully understated rage. I knew I’d love Blind Pilot the second he began to sing (sigh) and I’m still grinning after the Avett Brothers. You and me should really be BFFs and hang out after school listening to each other’s mix tapes with one set of ear buds.

I have no idea what my five would be, but here’s one you might like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1kfwC72Ps0

On October 31st, 2011, SurferWife said:

I am lighting a Yankee Scared Butt and waving it through the night (instead of my lame Bic) to honor your songs.