PROMPTuesday #130: The Shorter the Better

November 15th, 2010

This PROMPT is lifted entirely from here, and thanks to her sharing it with me, I am unabashedly using it today.

As you might have read if you followed the above link, this PROMPT’s challenge is to tell a whole story in 25 words or less as inspired by the six-word “novel” attributed to Ernest Hemingway, which was brilliantly written as: “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”

So to recap:

Please tell a story in 25 words or less.

I know you can do it.

Here’s mine:

Where are you going? he asked.

I shut the door and adjusted the exhaust hose.

Nowhere, I mouthed through the closed window.

I know, I know. I’m a maudlin sort.

As for you: Please post your response in the comments or write about it on your blog and leave me the link.

First time to PROMPTuesday? Read a bit about it here. Want to see what’s been written in the past? Catch up on the PROMPTuesdays archive here.

(P.S. If I had all my dreams come true, Mo would come back for this one. He’s a genius storyteller, that one.)

« « Today?    |    My Week So Far » »

On November 15th, 2010, melissa said:

this was an assignment in my creative writing class. it’s not so easy. i’m on it though.
i’ll be back to link!!

On November 15th, 2010, stephanie (bad mom) said:

Whoa, yours is right on; I like maudlin.

Will try and tell you if I’ve done it…

On November 15th, 2010, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

I told him I had a bad feeling about the Mustang we’d just passed. Not a minute later, we heard SQUEAL, SKID, and then CRASH.

On November 15th, 2010, stephanie (bad mom) said:

Alright, I did one on my blog. And I would have copied & pasted it here but I’m lazy.

But I did link to you :D

On November 15th, 2010, Shana said:

She meets the stranger’s gaze and in an instant a new life flashes before her eyes: love, home, babies, serenity, growing old, dying. Together. Always.

On November 16th, 2010, debbie said:

Waking up late, she didn’t check the weather channel. Running to the bus, it started to rain…she remembered her umbrella too late. Freakin’ Monday.

On November 16th, 2010, green girl in wisconsin said:

Ooh…good one.

“She got up one morning and took a long look around at the house, her husband, the pictures of children now moved out. She grabbed her bag and left.”

On November 16th, 2010, JenniferfromLaJolla said:

The car stopped short. The passenger side door opened and a leg appeared briefly, before quickly retreating. “Wrong address”, she sighed. “Must get a GPS.”

I am horrible at stuff like this. But thought I’d give it a go anyway.

On November 16th, 2010, Trish said:

Mine is buried in here somewhere:

On November 16th, 2010, All Adither said:

Oooh, fun! Thanks so much for the idea. Mine are here:

On November 16th, 2010, Mama Mary said:

Oh, I really want to come up with something. Will think about it tonight. Love stuff like this but I don’t think my brain works right. (Was going to say right now but right is more accurate).

On November 16th, 2010, Kylene said:

I am not a writer but thought I’d have to at least try since I did suggest the prompt today… :)

“He always stood for Peace yet earned a purple heart.

War and Peace fought silently inside him for forty years.

In the end, War won.”

On November 16th, 2010, Tweets that mention San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » PROMPTuesday #130: The Shorter the Better -- Topsy.com said:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by San Diego Momma, San Diego Momma. San Diego Momma said: Today's writing prompt: Tell a story in 25 words or less http://bit.ly/cAEyqC [...]

On November 17th, 2010, slouchy said:

Mine’s here.

On November 17th, 2010, jtcricket said:

Your story makes me worry. But I know you’re great at fiction…right? So am I. Sort of. YOU be the judge:

On November 17th, 2010, jtcricket said:

Find my attempt on my page…

On November 17th, 2010, jtcricket said:

I am trying to comment and leave you a link to get to mine, but this isn’t working. aaarrrggghhh

On November 17th, 2010, foolery said:

Dude, I know it’s a day late, but I did it:

It’s even more morbid than yours — I swear I didn’t know! I wrote mine before I read yours, really!

Thanks — that was fun. :)