PROMPTuesday #50: A Life in Six Words

April 7th, 2009

51oxuqx46xl_bo2204203200_pisitb-sticker-arrow-clicktopright35-76_aa240_sh20_ou01_

Because I’m late today, I kept it easyish. This one comes from my friend, Paul, with whom I’ll be attending a weekly writing coach meeting, but that’s neither here nor there*.

Paul’s idea is to riff on the popular six-word memoir idea captured eloquently in this book here. So just like it’s asked in the book, “Can you describe your life in six words?”

If you read the publisher’s description of the book above, you’ll see that six-word life sum-ups can be heartbreaking, silly, or motivational. Or, as the New Yorker says: “You could spend a lifetime brainstorming.”

What is your six-word memoir?

Leave your answer in the comments, or if you prefer, on your blog and leave us the link so we can spy.

Meanwhile, for any new readers, PROMPTuesday, is a once-a-week deal where I issue a creative writing prompt and hope that people take it and run. PROMPTuesday submissions appear in the comment box below the PROMPT post for all to read.

To read PROMPTuesdays gone by, please click here.

*That could totally be my life summed up in six words.

On April 7th, 2009, Wade Nash (Paul) said:

Here’s Mine: “Continuing Battle to Focus My Energies.”

I know we are probably not supposed to EXPLAIN ours — but that is my life in a nutshell. I could never focus in on just a few things that I’m good at. I like TOO MANY THING and TOO MANY PEOPLE and TOO MANY SOCIAL ACTIVITES — and it’s taken me until recently to realize that if my life is to be worth anything lasting, I must cut back on the “static” and learn to make decisions on what my goals are and FOCUS in on SOME things. I’ve had a fun life so far — travel, movies, literature, friends — but, unfortunately, at age 46, I am hardly an expert in anything with anything substantive to show for it.

Here’s to a completed novel manuscript in 2009!

On April 7th, 2009, Debrah said:

Forever Making That Change In Life

On April 7th, 2009, McSwain said:

Don’t have a blog anymore, so I’ll leave it here:

I fall too hard, too fast.

On April 7th, 2009, The San Diego Hermit said:

Though it is sometimes hard to convince myself, this is what I’d like to think my life is in six words: “Perpetually renewed and stronger each day.”

On April 7th, 2009, foradifferentkindofgirl (fadkog) said:

Mind reeling with words still unsaid.

(I love, love, love these books!)

On April 7th, 2009, g said:

Ventured out, sought, found and nested.

On April 7th, 2009, Blognut said:

I’m where I’m meant to be.

and

I’m not done with this yet.

Yeah, that’s 12; 13 if you count the ‘and’, but that’s what it is. :0)

On April 7th, 2009, Mama Mary said:

She laughed, cried, & didn’t get Cats.

If the “&” counts as a word then it would read:
She laughed, cried and hated Cats

but that’s a little harsh.

Please note the capital “C” though I could also probably substitute a lowercase “c” and be accurate. Sorry Cats the Musical and kitty cat lovers inhabiting the blogosphere.
I would have posted this on my blog but my post today is about my BFF who loves cats so I didn’t think it would be appropriate. :-)

On April 7th, 2009, kate said:

accident prone single mom causes mayhem.

On April 7th, 2009, DaGoddess.com » PROMPTuesday #50 - Six Horrific Words said:

[…] Six words. I have to come up with a six-word life description. How the heck is that even possible? I’m wordy. I write long, rambling bits of fluff that add up to absolutely nothing. Concise? Not me. When I come anywhere near needing to be precise and exact, I become some bumbling, fumbling, hemming and hawing joke. I stumble. I stutter. I sputter. And I invariably end up shrugging because words actually fail to form in a meaningful way. But that’s another story. One that’s better left untold, I think. There’s one person who knows exactly what that means; thankfully that’s a secret just between us. […]

On April 7th, 2009, Amanda @ The Mom Crowd said:

We recently did a “Motherhood in 6 Words” post on The Mom Crowd, it was a lot of fun! http://www.themomcrowd.com/motherhood-in-6-words-lets-get-creative

Right now I would describe my life as:

Two kids is harder than anticipated.

ha!

On April 7th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

Wow, that trackback excerpt was excessive, wasn’t it?

I loved AND hated this PROMPT, Deb. I’m feeling a little fragile and unable to express myself as honestly as I’d like. I don’t like that feeling. Thankfully, I did several takes on this and finally found one I think I can live with.

Can I get a pass to see the school nurse now? Please.

On April 8th, 2009, Chris said:

Pirouetting through time, hopeful, searching, open.

On April 8th, 2009, Katie said:

I’m well-rehearsed in effing up.

Best friend you will ever have.

This is hard LOL

On April 8th, 2009, robyn said:

I dance now, like never before.

On April 8th, 2009, matteroffactmommy said:

does it have to be a sentence that makes sense? whatever. using artistic license, here’s mine:
loving, living, playing, longing, feeling, giving
or
love, live, play, long, feel, give

On April 8th, 2009, Danielle said:

I would imagine this would be an ever changing thing and for me right now it’s:

Happy Momma, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

On April 8th, 2009, Cocktail Maven said:

Born in Technicolor. Living in CinemaScope.

On April 8th, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

I LOVE this PROMPT. Thanks Paul. And thanks to all who shared their innermost.

Mine is:

Made it harder than it is.

On April 8th, 2009, Chris said:

This was fun! Each time I read someone’s “memoir”, I count the words on my fingers to make sure they haven’t broken the rules. I used to be a Girl Scout. Gotta do it.

On April 8th, 2009, Crystal said:

The summary of my life at this moment is..

“Always looking for a happy medium.”

On April 8th, 2009, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Typing one handed while picking nose.

Don’t judge me. That wasn’t it.

Neither was that! I am THINKING!

Pick the right six, win LOTTO.

I will go away quietly now.

On April 8th, 2009, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Lurking for twenty minutes, still nothing.

On April 10th, 2009, DaGoddess.com » I’m Amending My Biography said:

[…] Deb had that PROMPTuesday dealio with the whole six-word biography terror going on this week. And it just dawned on me what my real bio should say. Of course, I had to steal it from Otis over at RER, but who’s really original anymore? So I paraphrase: […]

On February 15th, 2010, PrompTuesday #50 « Tiny Little Bits and Pieces of Me said:

[…] 8, 2009 by hippiemonkeymama This week’s prompt calls for a super-sort […]