Like The Weather

I’m bogged down with 540,903 pages to edit before 5PM, so this will be quick.

Here’s a picture of me and my dad.

He wasn’t allowed in the delivery room.

I wish we still had that couch.

Deb n Dad

Here’s a picture of my mom and dad at their wedding shower. He’d just said something a) dirty; b) inappropriate! or c) dirtily inappropriate.

Now what did he say?

Here’s something I wrote about rain:

It’s my favorite brand of rain tonight: gutsy, fierce and ghoulish.

The kind of rain that begins historical dramas with bonneted girls and boys snug in bed within a stone manor, where a fire blazes against a black cast iron soup pot while outside a lone darkish silhouette trudges up a wind-whipped, tree-lined pathway, travelling wearily and soon to fall prey to a headless horseman, man-wolf or Jack the Ripper attack, after which his head, limbs, or heart rolls soundlessly down the cobbled walkway to bump gently against the manor’s wooden door jamb, only to be morbidly and maybe gushily discovered by the chambermaid sweeping bits of crumb from the hearth outside.

Here’s a poem:

I remember you, pacing the corner

in all your rumple

Fingers corkscrewed in your hair

like a lure in a fish

Mouthing the fervent soundtrack

to a movie in your head

Come out of the corner

to stand with me here

The movie will be over

and you haven’t seen a thing

Sorry. I know — why didn’t I just shoot you?

18 Responses to “Like The Weather”

1. Steph says:

I had a comment. I really did. Then I got to the photo of your parents, and everything went out of my head because it was replaced with, “Holy shiz. Deb looks like her mama.”

I’m sorry. I’ll try harder next time.

2. Blognut says:

You are so cute, Deb. Really.

3. stoneskin says:

I can’t say anything apart from…

Nice Couch

4. It would be awesome if you had that couch–the term for it now is “mid-century chic.”

5. Barrie Summy says:

540,903 words to edit!!? You need a break. Wanna meet at the Yellow Book Road tomorrow somewhere between 11:00 and 12:30? Susan Patron’s doing a meet & greet and showing her power point again. Let me know. Very cool to have a Newbery winner in town for one more day. Just let me know….

6. Kizz says:

Wow, your mom was incredibly, stylishly beautiful and you look just like her. I love that picture of her and the expression on her face. Thanks for sharing that.

7. bejewell says:

Pure awesomeness. ESPECIALLY the couch.

8. Chris says:

That couch is great! And you look just like your mother – lucky you. Loved “…my favorite brand of rain…”.

Hope you got through all 540,903 pages. Ugh.

9. omg, i make that look on your mom’s face too when someone says something off-color or inappropriate! and yeah, you look SO MUCH like her!

hope you made it through the editing! :D

10. Da Goddess says:

I wish I had photos of my mom and dad lo those many years ago. I probably do, too, somewhere.

I love that you share these with us. It’s really quite sweet.

Good luck on the work!

11. kate says:

that couch? totally retro.

your mom? you look just her.

your mom’s hair? le sigh.

that rain? worthy of an 800 page novel’s first page.

12. Anastasia says:

What a great picture of you and your dad! Thanks for sharing the poem too. I like the imagery.

13. Love those photos. How sweet.

14. I wrote a comment and it was eaten. Great photos and love the poems. Believe me, my first comment was better but now, I got nothing.

15. ilinap says:

You look just like your mom! I wish you still had that couch and I wish I had your mom’s dress.

16. […] the one I grew up with and the one living in my house right now as I write. Every single of ‘em is […]