PROMPTuesday #44: Pastiche

February 23rd, 2009

So I’m putting PROMPTuesday up early this week. For two reasons. One: It’s pretty much done for me with the whole post tag team thing we’ve got going, and Two: I expect to be up all night busily searching boxes for old high school photos of me wearing pajamas to class (un-ironically and intentionally).

So for the PROMPT. Go take a look at all the wonderful post ideas here. Pick one. If you already did the one “assigned” to you, please pick another one. I expect to be pilfering these blog starters for weeks, WEEKS, I tell you. Such great suggestions.

Also, it’s occurred to me that it’s been awhile since I’ve described PROMPTuesday for the uninitiated, so here goes: PROMPTuesday is a once-a-week deal where I issue a creative writing prompt and hope that people take it and run. PROMPTuesday submissions appear in the comment box below the PROMPT post for all to read. It’s the most fun. (And there’s a lot of talent out there.)

To read PROMPTuesdays gone by, please click here.

UPDATED TO ADD: You know, because I’m the sort of person who listens to feedback, unless it comes from my husband or dad (or imaginary personal trainer or pretend dietician), I will take Stoneskin’s comment to heart. If you are plain sick to death of the post starters, then this week, write a character sketch of someone you love (child, partner, pet, mentor, etc.). Detail this person, let us see him or her through your description. Maybe you want to “show” your loved one through action and movement, or perhaps you are viewing him or her in repose. Either way, get down to brass tacks and give us the one you love through your writing.

UPDATED TO ADD AGAIN: No more choices! Just one: Love Portrait, as above. Please comply, or the PROMPTuesday police will come knocking. I mean it. And they’re burly, I assure you. (Also, hot and shirtless.) (But hairy and portly.)

On February 23rd, 2009, stoneskin said:

Jeeze, this soon? Can I skip a week and take it up again next week? ;op

On February 23rd, 2009, g said:

No, no, no!! Too much choice!! I can’t do it, I far greatly prefer having you, my Sandiegomomma overlord (overlady?) dictate my prompt!

Well, sorry for the tantrum – but it’s true that I really enjoy having something non-negotiable thrown at me, and have to work my way through it. There’s something so free and challenging about it.

Being able to pick or reject my own prompt? that gives me an easy-out, allowing me to think about it, consider it, pick the easy one.

Although I cheat a little with PrompTuesdays (I take about 1/2 hour instead of 10 minutes) I am always scrupulous about starting to write immediately after reading the prompt, so that I don’t “cook” it. I don’t allow myself to even read it if I can’t write it right away. I love that about PrompTuesday!

I may write something this week (cause I like any excuse to write), but maybe not, because I’m working on other posts I’ve been “cooking.”

On February 23rd, 2009, Blognut said:

I have sketched my favorite character for you.

xo Deb – this one’s gonna pay off for me bigtime!

On February 23rd, 2009, g said:

Oh, man, did I cause that? Yikes, now I have to do it…..!

On February 24th, 2009, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Hi Deb!!!

Here’s my http://blogthismom.blogspot.com/2009/02/promptuesday-44-character-sketch.html.

Thank you!

On February 24th, 2009, slouching mom said:

Here’s mine. It’s called “Love Letter.”

But I’ve cheated. You’ll see why.

Bad Slouchy!

On February 24th, 2009, Crystal said:

Here ya go…mine is WAY wordy, and it’s about cats…so if you aren’t a cat lover, it will probably be boring. hehe

On February 24th, 2009, g said:

OK, OK, I’m done! I CHEATED and spent some extra time finding photos, because…well, you’ll see.

On February 24th, 2009, g said:

OK, Mine’s up. I CHEATED and took time to get some photos. Because…well, you’ll see why.

www dot doves2day dot blogspot dot com. Or click on my name.

On February 24th, 2009, my two girls and the five senses « said:

[…] by mamamaryblog It’s been awhile since I’ve participated in San Diego Momma’s PROMTuesday, so since I am once again, in bed, in the dark, lying next to my sick baby girl, I will take a few […]

On February 24th, 2009, Mama Mary said:

I actually did it on a Tuesday, just barely. I always love a reason to write about my girls. Thank you! http://mamamaryblog.wordpress.com/

On February 24th, 2009, Mama Mary said:

Oops, I wrote an entire message to you but when I clicked submit my note disappeared and a blurb from my post appeared in it’s place. After five months of blogging I still have no idea what I am doing. :-) Anyway, I completed mine before midnight so I think this might be my first PROMTuesday on an actual Tuesday. Cheers!

On February 25th, 2009, San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » Dribby Drabs said:

[…] thanks for the PROMPTuesday submissions. I’ll be working on mine a little late, but it will definitely go out to my […]

On February 28th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

I totally don’t get what’s going on this week, so I’ll pass. However, I do have LAST week’s post almost ready. I’m slow, but I care.