Fodder

February 19th, 2009

Just so you know right off, I love PROMPTuesday. What a supportive little thing we got going there. I adore the new voices and the people writing and the humor and the honesty and the prosetasticness. Still, when it’s not Tuesday, I find myself wondering what to write…and then idea-less, I run off and pen some easy confessional that’s honest to a fault and pretty soon, everyone knows I get serial killer PMS, eat glue, and might or might not collect porcelain wildlife figurines.

So let’s avoid the senseless honesty in the future.

I’ve got an idea.

But wait! Some background first: A few weeks ago, a fellow blogger and I went out for dinner and talked shop. Soon enough, in a fit of red wine poisoninginspiration, I suggested that we write a post starter for the other person to publish in the near future. So we did. On napkins. Which I’ve since lost. But I sorta remember that Mel asked me to write about sex toys. While I more piously asked her to write about her role models. (You kiss your mom with that pen, Mel? You little scamp.)

Anyway…back to the present. How about if we post blog starters in the comments? You know, topic ideas for a post? AND, we can work it where the person immediately above the comment must write the idea suggested by the commenter below them. (Is this logistically accurate?) (Someone with the detail gene let me know.)

So in this little scenario, the first person to comment will write on the topic suggested by the second commenter. Then the commenter that follows that person will post a blog topic idea, and the person just above that comment will expand on the idea in an upcoming post. And so on. The person below the person above will post a topic and repeat. (NONE of this is now making sense to me.)

I will forge on.

Some suggestions of blog ideas (that I’ve never employed myself):

Who is your personal hero?

Was there a childhood experience that particularly shaped who you are today?

Why do all the Real Housewives of Orange County look like trannies?

Write a list of bloggers that inspire you.

Conduct an interview with someone you admire.

Has a friend ever betrayed you?

And etc., etc.

So is this at all makey sensey?

To sum up: the first person to comment will write on the idea suggested by the person below them. Also, the first commenter can suggest a topic and I will write on that since I’m not represented anywhere in this weirdo set-up I’ve concocted.

I’ll list the links to resulting posts in my sidebar. Also, I think I’m going to do a flow chart diagram to show how this will work. Unless someone else is good with flow charts?( I think you can see why I decided to become a writer and not a statistician or efficiency expert.)

UPDATED TO ADD: I hope this graphic helps, because I am all bebozzled over here. Pls. look at the below for an example of the drivel I spouted earlier.

pic2

The above is just an example of how this works. The real comments box is below! And look! Karelle now has a topic suggestion!

Finally: When you write the post as suggested by the commenter that followed you, let me know and I will publish a list of links for the sharey goodness.

On February 19th, 2009, MommyTime said:

Okay, I’ll play. Here’s a topic for you: first, choose an animal. Got it? Okay. You have to stick with the first one that came to mind. Then, write a post telling us about the dream that animal had last night. You can assume you are that animal, or not, as you like.

If you don’t like that topic, my alternate is: tell us the story of the day in high school that you wore the least successful outfit you ever concocted.

On February 19th, 2009, Blognut said:

This is why I love you Deb, this is a cool idea. I fear whoever comments after me right now… but I’m in because I have been a wealth of boredom lately on my blog.

MommyTime, you get to post on your most embarrassing sports moment.

On February 19th, 2009, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Lovely! I get Blognut. I. Am. Salivating.
Write a pitch for a television series. Network or cable. Comedy or drama.

On February 19th, 2009, Karelle said:

Hmm… I want to play, but I’m not so hot on generating ideas lately. All the same, how about a post describing a typical day in the life of your alternate self in a parallel universe. (Have I seen this prompt somewhere recently? I might be ripping it off.)

On February 19th, 2009, kate said:

um. yes, okay. i will play. what do i do again? because, like you, deb, i don’t understand. maybe my wife will take me out for coffee and tell me what to do.

On February 19th, 2009, stoneskin said:

How about describing your perfect day, and then your nightmare day. Concisely of course. The perfect day is your dream day, you can do anything you want. The nightmare day is (possibly) your dream day’s reverse. Anyway blah blah it’s an idea!

On February 20th, 2009, Cactus Petunia said:

I’ll play too, since I seem to be unable to come up with a coherent thought on my own lately…
Write a post using these guidelines:
Who: Elvis
What: A pink dressing gown
When: Election Day, 2012
Where: Madison Square Garden, NYC
Why: Why not?

On February 21st, 2009, tinsenpup said:

Alright, Cactus Petunia, tell us about a little thing that made you proud.

On February 21st, 2009, She said:

Okay, I’m in. Tinsenpup, tell me about an unusual/unique teacher, one you loved or hated or were just puzzled by. Pick any time period in your educational experience. Describe his/her quirks, mannerisms, physical appearance, etc. Maybe include some dialogue that you either remember or do the William Zinser, “invent the truth” kind of thing and just make up some conversation that very likely could have happened. Too much? Just improvise!

On February 22nd, 2009, Jennifer said:

This is a great idea.

To She; from your tag post, of the three cities which would you say was/is your favorite and why. Of course do mention how old you were when you lived there, for how long, any fond memories of the place and if you happen to know, what’s changed since you’ve left.

On February 22nd, 2009, gary said:

It is a little early and I must admit my tiny brain is a little overwhelmed here….I shall check back later after a quadruple espresso

On February 22nd, 2009, San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » Invasion of the Post Snatchers said:

[…] Here’s a list of posts by bloggers who participated in the mind-blowingly confusing blog carnival I wrote about last week: […]

On February 22nd, 2009, San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » The Follow-Up To That Which Did Not Make Sense in the First Place said:

[…] I’ve drawn you in with a clear, concise title to further explain the labyrinth post I wrote last […]

On February 22nd, 2009, kate said:

okay. i think that i’m writing an idead for jennifer since gary is still getting coffee. jennifer, write about the woman in the background of your blog, the one who is dancing and jumping and excited. what happened? is she you? (metaphorically).

now what? if no one leaves me a topic, will you give me one deb? since i’m late and everything?

On February 22nd, 2009, g said:

I’ll step up to the plate, and pitch one for Kate – If you were an animal, what kind would you be? Write about your day.

Oh, boy, now what?

On February 22nd, 2009, Amanda @ The Mom Crowd said:

I don’t know you at all g, but here is what I got for you – In the spirit of the Oscars this evening, write about your most favorite movie and why you love it. :)

On February 22nd, 2009, jessica said:

Okay, Amana @the mom crowd, here is my prompt for you. tell us the worst decision you think you’ve made in your life and why and if you need more to write about, tell us the best decision you made and why.

On February 22nd, 2009, Melanie @ Mel, A Dramatic Mommy said:

(I’m scared!) Jessica, tell us about a smell that immediately takes you back somewhere or reminds you of something. (Please be kind!)

On February 22nd, 2009, Jamie said:

Deb, love this idea. Okay Mel, choose a movie/television star that most resembles you.

On February 22nd, 2009, Janet said:

Jamie, you’re a makeup artist at the Oscars…tell us what’s going on!

On February 22nd, 2009, The Mom Crowd » Playing Along With San Diego Momma: The Worst and Best Decisions of My Life said:

[…] people in the comments leave a blog prompt for the Commenter before them. Got it? You can check out the original post about it here and a clarifying post about it here. San Diego Momma is one of the coolest bloggers ever. She met […]

On February 23rd, 2009, Kizz said:

Janet, how about you tell us about your worst kiss. Everybody talks about the good ones!

On February 24th, 2009, Fond of Snape » Blog Archive » foddah! said:

[…] Sandie go momma (not really her blog name, but it’s how I read it LOL!) came up with this great idea…but you’ll have to read her entry as it’s a bit convoluted […]

On February 24th, 2009, goofy girl said:

I think I get it, and I’m here via Fond of Snape cause this sounded intriguing!

So Kizz, you mentioned in a post about assumptions people making that frustrate you. What assumption would you change that people make about you? Or, what is it about lists that tickles your fancy?

On February 25th, 2009, San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » Dribby Drabs said:

[…] to all who participated in the Fodder extravaganza! It’s still going, if you’re up for it…Click Here to leave a comment […]

On February 25th, 2009, Ferd said:

Alright. I’ll play.
Goofy, this should be easy for you, talk about something that made you smile or laugh today.

Hey, Deb, what does the LAST commenter get to write about? Where’s your little rule on that!?

On February 26th, 2009, excuses are like assholes « Tiny little bits and pieces of me said:

[…] Oooh, I’m in so much trouble.  I signed up to participate in San Diego Momma’s post carnival last Sunday and I have yet to even start it, much less post a finished product.  In my defense […]

On February 28th, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

You guys are GREAT!

In other news, Ferd? If no one leaves a comment after mine, I will suggest a topic for you and THAT way it all comes full circle and the loop is closed!

Deb

On March 5th, 2009, Seraphine said:

i’m always the last one in line.
or things go full circle, then i’m out of the loop.
i’ll buy the last top on the rack because its on sale, to learn it went out of style yesterday. plus, there’s no room on the bus for me.
loop-de-do.

On April 6th, 2009, San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » It’s On Its Way! said:

[…] I’m not depressed. Just wordy (and we all know where that can lead). So that’s […]