What I Like About You

February 9th, 2009

Do you have one of those friends who go on and on about something — the same thing — over and over and over until you just want to stick them in a hole and fill it with dirt? Just shovel ‘em over and release them only when they promise to shut up about the bad relationship or the hormones or the blah blah de blah blah?

Yeah I know.

I am that friend.

It’s occurred to me that I write ad nauseum about the same old stuff (PMS.) (Depression.) (Anxiety.) (Why no one likes me.) (Butts.) (Insecurity.) (Pus.) (Wait. Pus is underutilized on this site; it must have come here by way of my “Need to Write More About That” list.) time and time again. And during that era when my head’s firmly planted in the sand, I’ve ignored my friends, haven’t really asked them what’s up, or responded in kind. Also, please know that I’m always in the middle of something: kids, work, panic attacks, so it’s a challenge to get time to look around. Still, I get so involved with my daily going-ons that I forget I’m part of a community.

But there I go again, talking about me.

I really plan to change all that.

So I recently read an entertainment snippet that assigned one word descriptions to celebrities as a sort of categorization or label that summed up their gestalt (i.e. Britney Spears = Boring) and I thought that’d be a great thing to do for the online people I love (sans the boring epithets), so I’m going to do a little blog rolly exercise here, and write a one-sentence (or two) description of the blog/or why I love it. Mommy Time does this with her Blog Roll, and I think it’s a great idea. As for me, I will Jackson Pollock my list — just throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that at it and write the first thing that strikes me when I think of the below blog or blogger.

So I do hope you’re not really expecting any of this to make a lick of sense?

But if you did, I guess you wouldn’t be here right?

I’ll proceed as if we are all on the same page.

p.s. None of this will be alphabetical or in order of preference or understandable in any way.

p.p.s. Some of these people don’t know me and will justifiably be mortified (crazy by association) that I’ve included them here.

p.p.p.s. This turned out to be way more labor-intensive than I signed up for today (but you’re all worth it!). So, I’m going to do post a little bit at a time. Here’s my first few:

Mommy’s Martini: Brainy, intriguingly literate, bibliophile

Blog This Mom: Wry, writerly, smartly silly

Katydidnot: Stream-of-consciousness, accident-prone, hilarious

So Anyway: Bold, astute, talented, involved

Juggling Life: Absorbing, readable, relatable

Dirt and Noise: Sassy, spunky, instantly likable (AND, posts new cocktail recipes every Friday)

117 Hudson: Artsy, smart, sometimes beautifully impertinent

Aaryn Belfer: Socially responsible, honest, real

Mel, A Dramatic Mommy: Well-spoken, engaging, quality

Doves Today: Delicious diarist, sublime storyteller

Mommy Pie: Jolly, sweet, lovable

The Best Parts: Positive, uplifting, involving

Matter of Fact Mommy: Says what you’re afraid to

Stephford Diaries: Panoply of awesomeness; something for everyone

Bern This: Unannoyingly, sweetly sarcastic, Curb your Enthusiasm-y

Mama Bird Diaries: Hysterical life snippets

Diane’s Addled Ramblings: Wonderful writing, very beautifully “prosey”

Blognut: Funny, honest, emotionally available

Tapdancing on the Edge of Reason: Engaging writing, lovely photography

I Am Feathermaye: Creative, a cinefile (is that a word?)

Tinsenpup: Gorgeous writing, poetic, clever

Da Goddess: Prolific, sometimes raw, talented writer and photographer

For A Different Kind of Girl: Queen of randomedy, expert turner-of-unexpected-phraser

We Make Three: Creative, visual, personal

Vodka Mom
: Side-splittingly comic, loving tales of a kindergarten teacher (and much more)

Thursday Drive: Beautiful tale-spinner

The Mom Crowd: Great conversation starter and excellent provider of information

Mo.Stoneskin: Best train stories ever, lovely life snapshot writer

Green Girl: Fabulously descriptive, lush days in the life writer

One Bad Mom: Quick-witted, perceptive, insightful

Mama Milton: Winsome wordsmith

This is the beginning. There will be more. With me, there’s always more. I’ll try to shut up more in the future. But meanwhile, please don’t put me in a hole.

« « Funky Town    |    PROMPTuesday #42: Remember When? » »

On February 9th, 2009, Eden said:

“So Anyway: Bold, astute, talented, involved”

Oh sure. Compliment me on a day I write a huge entry about the contents of my sex toy drawer ;)

Thanks :) I think this is a great idea. And I don’t care what your content is. I’ll read it b/c I dig you.

On February 9th, 2009, Blognut said:

I think you’ve pegged us all quite well! Great post, and I don’t get tired of you talking about you. Go easy on yourself, would ya’? You’re awesome. You forgot to do a line for yourself and I think it would go like this:
deb = genuine, honest, brave, talented, and very REAL.

On February 9th, 2009, Diane said:

First of all, I would never put you in a hole… you are WAY too hard on yourself!! If you were the way you described, do you think we’d come back? Silly woman. And that you described my writing as ‘wonderful’ totally gave me the warm fuzzies!!! Thank you!!!! And back atcha!

On February 9th, 2009, the mama bird diaries said:

You’re sweet. Thanks for the shout-out. Will you please explain to my husband how hysterical I am?!

Wow. That must have taken you awhile to put in all those links. What great descriptions. You’re a superstar.

On February 9th, 2009, Jenn @ Juggling Life said:

Thanks.

San Diego Momma: Honest, funny, angsty, creative.

On February 9th, 2009, feathermaye said:

Well thank you, Deb! The last time someone spontaneously mentioned me on the internet, they called me a “potty mouth” and did so anonymously. I only found out because I have a google alert set for ‘feathermaye’. Creative or not, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

Keep doing what you do, Deb. It keeps me coming back for more (whether you mention my name or not).

On February 9th, 2009, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

San Diego Momma: Realicious, boldasmic, creatastic, loverly

On February 9th, 2009, Melanie @ Mel,ADramatic Mommy said:

Aww, thank you. This is your space, of course you can talk about yourself. As much as you want to in fact. Keep on keepin’ on girl.

On February 9th, 2009, Twenty Four At Heart said:

You are the fourth person within 10 days to remind me (albeit unintentionally) how hopelessly outdated my blogroll is. Sigh … I guess I need to get to work and tackle it SOON.

On February 10th, 2009, vodkamom said:

I have to update mine too!!! I *heart* you as well- even if I don’t always participate properly!!!!

xoxox

On February 10th, 2009, foradifferentkindofgirl said:

The queen of randomedy…I love that! And I love that you did this and felt compelled to say such delightful words about me. Thank you. Completely!

On February 10th, 2009, Kizz said:

Whoa, that is a lot of work. And such a nice thing to do, too. Thank you!

On February 10th, 2009, Steph said:

Dude. It’s YOUR blog. If I didn’t want to read about YOU, I’d go read something else.

Also? I’m giddy and distraught all at once. Giddy about new blogs to read, distraught about new blogs to read. It’s a dilemma.

But when it comes to a mention of me that doesn’t involve the phrase “crazy bitch”, zero conflict. ALLLLLL GIDDY there, baby.

On February 10th, 2009, kate said:

what do you mean ‘accident-prone’.

me?

*crash*

On February 11th, 2009, mommypie said:

SDM: Too fantastically awesome to condense.

On February 12th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

hahahahahaha – you have to take out the prolific on mine because I’m slacking this week. And raw? Is it because my boobies are almost naked on my sidebar? Thanks for the other stuff. Really. Smooch!

On February 13th, 2009, MommyTime said:

You are so awesome for doing this! Thank you for all the kind words. (And I know how much work it is, so I doubly appreciate it.) And thank you for the giant list of people I need to add to my reading too. I love when blogs get recommended to me this way. Now I know what I’ll be doing this weekend.

On February 15th, 2009, tinsenpup said:

I think I’m that friend that never writes. Thank you for saying nice things. I’m not sure they’re entirely accurate though. I’m just off to publish a “gorgeous”, “poetic” and “clever” post about toilet instructions.

On February 16th, 2009, Amanda @ The Mom Crowd said:

Thanks for including me! I am with the other chicas here in the comments – we like reading about YOU! that is why we come. :)

I love this list – I want to make an RSS reader file with all these blogs and call it “San Diego Momma’s Favorites’ or something like that. I like reading what other folks are reading.