PROMPTuesday #29: I Was There

November 4th, 2008

History’s being made, can you feel it? The bubbles in the atmosphere? The sense that when they pop, the air around them will change? Or else the they’ll float into space, bouncing like sound waves, carrying the news of today into tomorrow?

So where were you when history was laid down? Was the TV playing Nixon in the background while you ate an innocuous chicken dinner? Were you born the day Kennedy was shot? Did you watch the falling Challenger from a classroom full of fifth grade students like you?

This PROMPTuesday, share where you were when. Tell the story any way you want. And as always, fiction is welcome, too.

Meanwhile…First time to PROMPTuesday? Read a bit about it here.

Want to see what’s been written in the past? Catch up on the PROMPTuesdays archive here.

« « Definitely, Maybe    |    Jumping the Track » »

On November 4th, 2008, vodkamom said:

I remember when I was in third grade, we were all told that we were going to watch a funeral on t.v. And there, in the middle of the day, a school was quiet as each classroom watched the funeral of Bobby Kennedy. You could hear the sounds of people crying, and I didn’t quite understand why the school was so dark. However, I will remember that dark, sad day as long as i live.

On November 4th, 2008, Jenn @ Juggling Life said:

Thanks for my Thursday post idea.

On November 4th, 2008, A Little Too Shy said:

Y2K. As the clock rolled over my husband and I both got our cookies at the same time. Or, we watched the fireworks together. The earth moved for him, and for me.

Dual orgasm, okay?

I’m posting this anonymously because, well, you know . . .

On November 4th, 2008, robyn said:

Ok, this is not my official submission, but I remember when I was in fourth grade, my mom was watching the Oliver North trial. So, I sat down and watched it with her and wrote a report about it. For fun.

On November 4th, 2008, matteroffactmommy said:

OMG, I TOTALLY WATCHED THE CHALLENGER BURST INTO FLAMES LIKE THE REST OF THE FIFTH GRADERS!!

sorry, that just struck me as totally strange that you mentioned that in your prompt RIGHT when i read it.

spooky.

On November 4th, 2008, Cactus Petunia said:

Thanks for the kind words about my post last week…This Tuesday I’m just a wee bit distracted! I’ll see what I can do tomorrow…
-Petunia

On November 4th, 2008, g said:

Well, hell, I opened a can of worms with this assignment. The first thing that occurred to me was a very troubling memory.

and on such an amazing night as this one.

WTF – have at it.

On November 4th, 2008, Renée aka Mekhismom said:

Well, this evening I was at a watch party where people were so positive that our man was going to win our cake had a photo of the new first family.

Once Pennsylvania was announced the air became charged with electricity and once Ohio was announced a collective cheer was raised.

It was a beautiful, beautiful scene.

But it did not end there. My husband and I shared precious moments alone doing our own renditions of the victory dance.

This night in history will never be forgotten.

On November 5th, 2008, Susan said:

You have once again taken me down memory lane with this one – my lane is much longer than you suggest…

On November 5th, 2008, Diane said:

I have an award for you at my place. Come and get it!

On November 5th, 2008, San Diego Momma said:

TEST

On November 6th, 2008, history. « me, unplugged said:

[…] 6, 2008 · No Comments okay, so i’m behind on the whole promptuesday thing, but seeing as i was blogging about something else (like smoking, because, you know, […]

On November 6th, 2008, stef said:

i cheated! i had other stuff to get off my chest on tuesday, so i stole your promptuesday and made it a “prompthursday” instead! :) click here to check it out. thanks for another great prompt!