PROMPTuesday #123: Like Sangria for Paella

September 28th, 2010

Just yesterday, as I was straightening my ill-used and under-utilized cookbook pile, a piece of parchment fell to the floor. I couldn’t tell which book it’d shaken loose from, and I didn’t recognize the script, the recipe, or the name written on it. I hadn’t bought a cookbook in many moons, and as far as I know, none of the ones I do have are passed down from generation to generation, so how this paper made it to my possession, I will never know. As I read the ingredients listed on the page, a warm sense of rootedness overcame me, the delicious feeling you get when you know you are in the presence of something old and timeworn and beloved. Truth told, I don’t know how old this recipe is — it seemed to have been written in the last two decades — but it certainly has made it from woman to woman to woman over the years. I am going to post its contents here in a moment, but first, today’s PROMPTuesday.

Do you have a recipe that has stayed in your family for generations? Please post it, and if you are so moved, write a story to go with it. Who passed the recipe on to you? What does it remind you of? Does your family enjoy it as much as you do?

If you don’t have an actual recipe, tell us a story connected to food. What recipe brings you back to childhood? What reminds you of grandma? Or that summer in Cape Cod?

Please post your story in the comments OR post in your blog and leave a link to your blog in the comments.

First time to PROMPTuesday? Read a bit about it here. Want to see what’s been written in the past? Catch up on the PROMPTuesdays archive here.

But first — Here’s the recipe that made its way to me through channels unknown, but much appreciated:

Laura,

A friend spent the summer in Spain and stayed with a family. The mother gave her this recipe — passed down for generations. She said it was a “lover’s drink.”

INGREDIENTS:

• Some good, loose tea like apple or mango
  • Vodka
  • Cloves or cinnamom or ginger
  • Cheap red wine
  • Orange juice
  • 7-Up or Sprite
  • Cut-up fruit
  • *Like all good family recipes, there were no quantities given, so I guess it takes some experimenting to figure it out. I’ll be a guinea pig if you need one.

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Steep tea in vodka (roughly one bottle for one gallon of wine — there’s a reason this is a lover’s drink!)
  • Let vodka and tea infuse for a day along with cloves or cinnamom.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and put in fridge for a few hours before serving.

The fact that this particular recipe appeared to me from seemingly nowhere? Doesn’t seem to be an accident.

Thank you Universe. I needed a good lover’s drink. Such things can’t go unforgotten.

On September 28th, 2010, Natalie said:

A few years ago, my grandma and I were discussing politics and I was relaying to her the stresses of Prop 8 and all sorts of things… and she gave me her pie crust recipe. She says it is soothing.

Oh, I looked up the post I wrote about it…

On September 28th, 2010, ilinap said:

I think you need to post this as a guest poster for 5:00 Fridays! What do you think?

On September 28th, 2010, flutter said:

ooooh, I would give you my red velvet recipe, but then I’d have to kill you and I like you too much for that

On September 28th, 2010, Tweets that mention San Diego Momma » Blog Archive » PROMPTuesday #123: Like Sangria for Paella -- Topsy.com said:

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Melanie Sheridan, San Diego Momma and San Diego Momma, Mary Burt-Godwin. Mary Burt-Godwin said: RT @sandiegomomma: @MamaMaryShow http://bit.ly/9Erm2f Today's PROMPTuesday. Plus, instructions for a "lover's drink." —-> Sounds yummy! […]

On September 28th, 2010, Jenn @ Juggling Life said:

It’s not so much as a single recipe, but our entire Thanksgiving menu–it is not to be tampered with. Ever.

On September 28th, 2010, L.A. Stylist Mom said:

Of course your recipe involves booze. Here’s mine:

1 Jar Marshmallow Fluff

1 Jar Peanut Butter (the less natural the better – I like crunchy)

1 Loaf fluffy white bread – like Wonder

A knife

You know what to do. And sometimes? I cut out middle man a.k.a. the bread.

Ahhh, shades of my idyllic upbringing…

xox

On September 28th, 2010, Morgan B. said:

I have spent every summer of my life in the San Juan Islands. Every day we catch fresh crab and boil it on the beach. I can’t eat crab anywhere else but on our deck that overlooks the islands. So, for me, the meal that brings back the best memories is fresh crab, salad, and bread. It’s simply the most satisfying thing I have ever eaten in more ways than one.

On September 29th, 2010, Mama Mary said:

Mine is up on my blog today. It’s not a real recipe, nor has it been in my family for generations, but it’s all I got. And your artichoke eating will never be the same! P.S. I want Sangria!!!

On September 29th, 2010, ScottsdaleMama (Monica) said:

oh yeah baby! I love Sangria! Here is my experience from my last batch http://scottsdalemama.com/?p=161

On September 30th, 2010, Deb said:

I’ve got my recipe up. Not much of a story behind it… but the dish itself is yummy. Truly one of my favorites (and it always gets requested when we have potlucks at work).