Stuff I Like: Easy Dresses

April 15th, 2010

I can’t stand choosing separates. I don’t know what goes with what and so tend to wear something like what I wore today: off-trend gray capris, shapeless yellow tee and a baggy puce-y sweater. With moccasins.

Moccasins that had flowers on them.

Please do not send the fashion police to shoot me in the face.

That’s why I like dresses. It’s one-shot dressing. Just pull the thing on and DONE. This pleases me.

I still find that I need help with accessorizing, but let’s get to that in a minute. Because I want to show you this first:

bluethrift.jpg

It’s an Anthropologie dress I found at a thrift store last month. It still had the $118 tag on it and everything. I paid substantially less than that for the dress. Thrift stores? Good for the soul, the pocketbook and the marriage.

Now for this.

silly.jpg

Can’t take your eyes off me, can you?

I’m awful bright.

Got a lot going on.

Also, I will thank you to not say a thing about my roots or how I look like Courtney Love.

If Courtney Love wore peasant dresses.

fullonbabee.jpg

Here is more of me in the dress.

Put that lascivious tongue back in your mouth.

So I ordered this dress from Eshakti. They said I could order anything I wanted and the coolest thing was it would be made to order. You input your measurements, desired length, and so on and your piece comes CUSTOM MADE.

They have a lot of cool stuff on the Eshakti site. Lots of beautiful dresses. Neat looks. Like this one I almost ordered:

cl0018736v

Or this one:

cl0018952v

(Apparently I like puce.)

So adorable things, you know? So adorable, that you MAY be asking why I ordered this:

dopey.jpg

I was trying to step out of my comfort zone, see. And I like the dress, I do. First of all, it fits great. Because it was made JUST FOR ME. I could even adjust the sleeves if I wanted. (If I could do it over again, I would order without the bottom ruffle.) But I have no earthly idea what to wear with it. Would a necklace be too much? Long earrings? White gloves? HELP ME!!!!!

Oh but wait. Here’s what LA Stylist Mom suggested: turquoise earrings, no necklace, and brown leather toe-ring sandals. LASM is great by the way, you should read her.

But meanwhile, anyone else want to weigh in on how to accessorize my eShakti dress?

Maybe these additional photos will inspire you:

pickingup.jpg

(Picking up rug lint in my eShakti dress.)

gettingtheoven.jpg

(Running to get the phone in my eShakti dress.)

jack.jpg

(Um. Don’t got nothin’ for this one. In my eShakti dress.)

ablur.jpg

(Coming to get you! in my eShakti dress.)

So what do you think?

Please save me from the flowered moccasins.

On April 15th, 2010, Everyday Mama said:

Mama likes! Love the ease of the dress — especially while running to the phone. Turquoise earrings would make it pop even more — good advice from LAStylistMom.

On April 15th, 2010, foolery said:

1. Big chunky wooden bangle bracelet.

2. Catcher’s mitt.

3. Wonder Woman wrist bands.

4. Gorton’s Fisherman rain hood.

Do any of these help? I can loan you mine.

(You look great, in any case, and I especially love the first dress!

On April 15th, 2010, Laurie Ann said:

You are both goofy and adorable with your dimples (me so jealous). I agree with LASM.

Now, let’s talk about that rug. It’s gorgeous.

On April 15th, 2010, L.A. Stylist Mom said:

Duuuuuudes! Thanks for all the agreement! I also suggested off the shoulder since that’s a very hot trend right now – seems that Deb eschewed that. Hm.

Dress aside, I’m presently torn between my love for ‘Coming to get you’ and ‘Picking up rug lint.’ I’ll keep you posted…

On April 15th, 2010, L.A. Stylist Mom said:

P.S. That Anthro thrift score is not only the aforementioned score…? It is also YOUR color. Gorge. xox

On April 15th, 2010, MissM said:

I LOVE that anthropologie dress! I think I need to go shopping with you. Whenever I go to a thrift store I don’t seem to find a thing!

On April 15th, 2010, Christina said:

Third action shot- ballet. or African dance.

On April 15th, 2010, Trish Has 3 Girls said:

Gorgeous! I like the color on you. I would wear a wood bead necklace and wood hoop earrings with it.

On April 15th, 2010, La Jolla Mom said:

I love the dress. I would go earrings, no necklace. Nothing to over chandelier-y.

The Anthropology score is amazing. Color suits you.

Personal favorite is the picking up lint post. My sis in law is w/Ford, I think – I’ll have her ask around for you!

On April 15th, 2010, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Goofball!

On April 16th, 2010, robyn said:

Oh, Deb. You make my heart happy. (But unfortunately I don’t have any advice on accessorizing.)

On April 16th, 2010, Suzette aka MamarazziKnowsBest said:

Amazing! It’s like you and I are shopping together and you’re stepin’ out of the dressing room to show me your picks.

LOVE, LOVE the grey dress and how it looks on you!

Double score on that one!

On April 16th, 2010, green girl in Wisconsin said:

This is why I love dresses–one step dressing! And I love brownies–one step baking!

On April 16th, 2010, Molly said:

Debbie,

I’ve always envied your style! That orange dress looks fantastic on you. I love a good bargain too.

My all time favorite score was at a “Nickel Auction” where I got these A.F. distressed jeans for 5 cents!!!

On April 19th, 2010, San Diego Momma said:

Thanks for the suggests, doods!

Love the ideas. Also LASM? Off the shoulder rocks.

XO!

On April 19th, 2010, Mama Mary said:

LOVE the orange dress! Even more, I love the action photos. You are somethin special.