The Note

November 25th, 2009

Should I put it on her car?

**********************

Hi:

As you know, we (the moms on this street) have an issue with how fast you drive down our cul de sac.
We know that you feel that because you are driving the speed limit, you are being safe.
However, we want to share that California law states the following:

“You may never drive faster than is safe for current conditions. For example, if you are driving 45 mph in a 55 mph speed zone during a dense fog, you could be cited for driving “too fast for conditions.”

Regardless of the posted speed limit, your speed should depend on:

• The number and speed of other vehicles on the road.
  • Whether the road surface is smooth, rough, graveled, wet, dry, wide, or narrow.
  • Bicyclists or pedestrians
  • Whether it is raining, foggy, snowing, windy, or dusty.”

You are no doubt aware that many children play on this street. We are appealing to your good sense and asking you to please slow down because the posted speed limit that you are driving is too fast for the conditions (children playing) on our cul de sac.

To us, this isn’t a matter of “who is right” and “who is wrong.” Or whether we “should” or “should not” allow our children to play in the street. The reality is that our kids do play in the street and as a driver, it is your responsibility to slow down for them.

You know the kids are there. The kids do not know that you are behind them in a car traveling 35+MPH. Please drive more responsibly.

If there is a continued problem with this issue, we plan to contact the neighborhood police station and have an officer explain the above law to you more fully.

The moms on Blah Blah Blah Lane

On November 25th, 2009, L.A. Stylist Mom said:

Blah Blah Blah Lane is a REALLY nice area. Impressive.

On November 25th, 2009, Kristi said:

Way too nice :) but appropriate!

On November 25th, 2009, Mama Mary said:

Love it! I could totally read between the lines!

On November 25th, 2009, Jenn @ Juggling Life said:

Excellent! I might change “how fast” to “the speed at which you drive”–just to minimize the defensiveness she’ll feel. “Fast” being a judgment word.

I can’t wait to hear the results.

You can always tell her that you have moms from other suburbs you can bring in for backup!

On November 25th, 2009, MissM said:

Oh SNAP! Go girl! I love it.

On November 25th, 2009, Melanie @ Mel, A Dramatic Mommy said:

You are far too nice. I’d go straight for the police with the radar gun. But it’s a good letter. The message is loud and clear. Are other parents signing it too?

On November 26th, 2009, Kari C said:

Way too nice…..I’d just go straight to the police and have them observe, then get her!!! But that’s just me, I get tired of trying to be the rational one. Good luck!

OMG…..I just re-read this…I think I’m turning into my mother!!! oooohhh noooo….where’s my xanax??? Please shoot me now………

On November 26th, 2009, Ashleigh Burroughs said:

Definitely go with the note.
Definitely put up an obstacle course of those orange cones they use to mark the goals at soccer practice – that’s what we did on our cul-de-sac in Cali when the kids were young and idiots thought that just because it was “legal” it was “right”. Totally understand your angst re: chick fights…. but this C-B-Whore is endangering your children!!!!!

On November 26th, 2009, Jennifer said:

I may have to use this note one day.

On November 26th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

Here’s to the moms on Blah Blah Blah Lane!

Hunt her down and slap her if you need to. Your kids are too precious to let her get away with being stupid.

On November 27th, 2009, MomZombie said:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Funny that we both posted about notes. I don’t know how I don’t know about your blog. Where have I been? Under a rock? Anyhow, I love it. We both love shows about the paranormal, believe we have haunted dwellings (http://www.mom-zombie.com/2009/07/what-would-jason-and-grant-do/) and I’m sure other things in common. Can’t wait to pore through your archives.

On November 27th, 2009, Kathleen@ForgingAhead said:

Most definitely!

On November 29th, 2009, Theresa said:

Great note- taking the high road…

Question…Where is the daycare provider neighbor in all of this?????

On November 29th, 2009, Jamie said:

You’re so sexy when you’re right.

On November 29th, 2009, Crystal Ashworth said:

Dude…forego the note…go to the cops. From your other post, it seems that you all have tried on several occasions, to no avail, to get this woman to slow down in your cul-de-sac. So, I think placing the note would just be like “If I have to tell you one more time” to our kiddos – they ignore us – and she sounds like an immature child. Our neighbors (who are freakin awesome) actually petitioned for a speedbump on our street, mostly due to the concern of our children specifically as they play outside. There are people that live around various corners of our street that will still haul ASS down the street and practically catch air as they go over the speed ‘hump’ – I don’t know what the hell is wrong with people, seriously.

On November 30th, 2009, Jillian said:

I would just start with California state law states… and end with WE WILL call the cops biotch.

On December 1st, 2009, Stephanie said:

I’d make one change: tell the cops now. She can explain herself to them.

On December 1st, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

Still haven’t given Mean Mom note…but daycare provider came over and told me that it’s a consensus among her parents that our kids “jump” in front of their cars…

SO, game ON.