PROMPTuesday #64: Eeeeeevvvvvviiiilllll

July 13th, 2009

Lately, I’ve found my pockmarked brain really enjoying children’s programming. (Except for Yo Gabba Gabba. Do not watch Yo Gabba Gabba. My friend, Island Girl, is right when she says that show is like a kid rave.) That, and Kidz Bop, are why all our children are making out in second grade bathrooms.

At any rate, one of my favorites (second only to the brilliant SpongeBob) is Phineas and Ferb. It’s so awesome, you wouldn’t believe it. (I want to write an episode for this thing so bad.) It’s about two kids on summer vacation who dream up and execute over-the-top plans (like building a beach or an enormous sno-cone machine) much to the chagrin of their snoopy sister who always tries to get them in trouble with their mom. Then the “B” plot shows the kids’ pet platypus, Perry (who is of course a secret agent), as he battles the evil Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz, and attempts to stall the doctor’s ridiculous nefarious schemes.

First of all: this show sports a classic plot structure, which I love to analyze. There’s the evil doctor, his nemesis, imaginative kids, and taking-over-the-world hijinks to battle. Then, there’s the comic relief. And finally, the frosting: great music. Every single episode broadcasts an awesome non-kiddy song that is catchy and put to great dramatic effect.

Here’s part of an episode to watch:

My point to all this is…

Well, we’ll get to that in a sec.

Before today’s PROMPT, I want to prime the pump a little more by sharing some of Dr. Doofenschmirtz’s silly evil plans:

In various episodes, the evil doctor has tried to:

• invent an ugly-inator so he will be more handsome than everyone else.
  • freeze the tri-state area so people will buy his hot chocolate.
  • jumpstart his aluminum siding business by letting loose termites to consume everything made of wood.
  • build an invention that can make anything his evil minion.

Isn’t that awesome? Oh my, I’m getting so excited over here. I love those show writers.

So the PROMPT:

Make up a silly evil scheme. Even better? Dream up an evil antagonist and write a story about the dreadful thing he plans to do. (Tip: Old Scooby Doo shows may inspire you.)

Please post your submission in the comments OR post in your blog and leave a link to your blog in the comments.

And also — First time to PROMPTuesday? Welcome! Read a bit about this weekly writing exercise here.

(Want to see what’s been written in the past? Catch up on the PROMPTuesdays archive here.)

On July 13th, 2009, merrymamaof3 said:

Wait. This is Monday. Isn’t it?

On July 13th, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

Monday? Wha—??????

Dr. Doofenschmirtz must have used his axis tippinator to alter the days of the week!

WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually. I just wanted to get a jump on PROMPTuesday this week because I was so late last week.

Also, I am awesome.

On July 13th, 2009, Glynn @ IslandGirl said:

Exception to Yo Gabba Gabba rule – you can watch the episode in which Jack Black is a guest.
After watching that one, Jack Black moved into my open spot on the “My 5″ list. Right behind Lenny Kravitz.

On July 13th, 2009, MommyTime said:

I just have to say that I was PANICKED when I read this because I thought I’d lost 24 hours in which to prep for my Weds class. But now that I know it is actually Monday, here are the best evil schemes I can think of:

1) make a really delicious dessert that, when your kids eat it, turns them into themselves on their WORST DAY EVER, complete with whining, bickering, taunting, complaining, etc. — all in the service of selling worn-out parents really expensive vacation packages that come with 24/7 babysitting

2) secretly sow poison ivy on everyone’s lawns to promote your lawn-care company (“Specializing in Annoying Plant Abatement”)

Okay, I give up. These are no good. Can you tell I just spent the last three hours running errands with my children who were beyond annoying the entire time? I’ll try again another time.

On July 13th, 2009, Hudson's Mommy said:

One day I’ll do one of these writing challenges…I just had to say – we LOVE Phineas and Ferb at our house. In fact, the hubs and I sat on the floor, ate our Panda Express lunch on the coffee table and watched a marathon yesterday….while our two year old slept.

It’s just that good.

On July 13th, 2009, stoneskin said:

I could do with making myself a few minions.

I’ll have a think about this one.

On July 14th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

First off, a pox on you for invoking Mermaid Man’s Eeeeeeeviiiillllll cry on us. :P

Second, does the zit monster count as a villian if he’s running around and casting spells on me to make my face break out in time for my high school reunion?

On July 14th, 2009, DaGoddess.com » PROMPTuesday #64 - The Return of Pizza Face said:

[…] that work out okay for this prompt, Deb?) Filed under: Bloggy, Humor, Personal Interest, The Well […]

On July 14th, 2009, stoneskin said:

Post is up

On July 14th, 2009, Stephanie said:

You have YGG pegged way wrong. It might have that look but it’s one of the most educational shows for preschoolers and early elementary children that I’ve ever seen. I was going to make a list here of the stuff that’s been strengthened by the kids watching YGG or outright taught but it was way too long. Think manners, nutrition, kindness, sharing, safety, etc. Just b/c it has a hip hop beat doesn’t mean it doesn’t have solid value. Give it a chance.

On July 14th, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

Steph:

If you say YGG is redeemable, I believe you. I trust your opinion on most things and your review is gold with me!

Plus! We could use more manners in this house!

On July 14th, 2009, vodkamom said:

I don’t have to dream one up- I work with one.

On July 14th, 2009, Crystal said:

This brings to mind Kim Possible – I can’t remember the bad guys name though.

On July 14th, 2009, Rubbish said:

Mines up.

On July 15th, 2009, ilinap said:

KidzBop is evil. I hate hate hate it.

On July 15th, 2009, kate said:

thank god. an assignment.

i needed an assignment. even on a wednesday.

On July 17th, 2009, Green Girl in Wisconsin said:

That show? Kicks butt. I can’t even tell my kids to turn off TV when it’s on. I watch along with them.

On July 19th, 2009, Stephanie said:

Yeah you can check out skits & episodes online. I really thought it was going to be fake-hip crap (a la Kidz Bop) but it’s actually awesome. The penultimate episode is probably “Eat,” which features “Party In My Tummy” (msg: try all kinds of foods b/c the stuff you might not want feels left out of the party happening in your tummy) and I think it also has the “Puppet Master” dancey-dance featuring Elijah Wood.