PROMPTuesday #53: Hark! Who Went There?

April 27th, 2009

These lovely and haunting photos came from my friend, Da Goddess, whose pictoral mastery inspired today’s PROMPT.

I don’t want to lead you so much this week, as I want these photos to elicit a reaction that you explore with a story or a poem.

So for PROMPTuesday #53 (Holy almost 100 sorta!), gaze upon the imagic loveliness that follows and use it to inspire your words.

Knowing me, I’ll do some kind of possessed caboose story, but I’m sure you’ll come up with something more normal. (I sure hope not.)

_mg_0115atrain

_mg_0108atrain1

_mg_0114atrain

_mg_0101adoor

Meanwhile, for any new readers, PROMPTuesday is a once-a-week deal where I issue a creative writing prompt and hope that people take it and run. PROMPTuesday submissions appear in the comment box below the PROMPT post for all to read.

To read PROMPTuesdays gone by, please click here.

« « Shades of Gray    |    Not What It Seems » »

On April 28th, 2009, Jennifer said:

Time has aged you old friend,
young child I once sheltered.
I was your club house,
rondevu and hide out.
You came running around the bend,
so small.
Shrill laughter as you barricaded yourself
filled my walls.
You came running with your love,
sharing secrets upon my bare floor.
You came slowly to ponder
the passing of life and time.
You came walking with little hands
to once again fill my space with joy.
You came running to find the boy
who lost his way.
You come to me now,
I see for one last time.
Reliving your secrets
rooted within, now falling to pieces.
We’ve both been aged by time.
The paint is wearing thin.
Can you still hear the boy laughing?

On April 28th, 2009, DaGoddess.com » PROMPTuesday #53 - Last Train Done Gone Down said:

[…] week, my photos of the old Rhyolite caboose were to serve as inspiration for the PROMPT. Thank you, Deb, for finding the photos interesting and worthy enough to warrant such special […]

On April 28th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

Whew! I started this, got distracted with something else, came back — and lo and behold! I actually picked up right where I left off. That almost never happens.

Guess we’ll have to wait until next week to see what happens to Jen & Barry. It was time for a new character anyway.

On April 28th, 2009, Mama Mary said:

Oh this one is so yummy – I hope to get to it later today. But my blog post today is actually perfect for your Prompt last week – it was my craziest travel adventure but it was too long to write in 10 minutes and it happened 9 years ago today so it’s up now. :-)

On April 28th, 2009, Green Girl said:

I just have to tell you how much I love these pictures.

On April 28th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

Jennifer, love your take on the caboose. Does, indeed, bring back memories of when I was kid. Also, sadly, your link on my site didn’t work. I’m fixing it now.

Green Girl, thank you. I fell in love with this wreck the minute I saw it.

On April 28th, 2009, mommypie said:

GORGEOUS photos.

And I’m totally rooting for the possessed caboose story.

On April 29th, 2009, g said:

These photos are so beautiful, and yet I just can’t get a handle on writing something. Plus it’s crazy busy for me this week. But I wanted to say – how very beautiful these photos are. Truly.

On April 29th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

Thanks, Mommypie and G.

Know the feeling on not being able to find time to even sneeze these days.

And I, too, want a possessed caboose story. With more lima beans!