PROMPTuesday #40: Phoning It In

January 27th, 2009

So tonight I basically asked a man why he was in a wheelchair.* If “basically” were “I did.” And since I’m still toothpicking toenail shards from my teeth, I’m phoning in an easy PROMPTuesday this morning.

This week, tell us about your first job. As I recently twittered, I worked at the Jelly Bowl Bakery in bucolic Buffalo Grove, Ill., and will write further about this learning and buttercreamy experience tomorrow, but for now, I want to hear about you. Tell me why you no longer have the use of your legs.

Oops! It appears there was a probing question file mix-up! Sorry! Just ignore me and instead write about your first job. If you want to fictionalize it, all the better.

But first, if you’re new, read a bit about PROMPTuesdays here.

Meanwhile, if you care to observe PROMPTuesday’s rules, here they are:

• Try to write your entry in 10 minutes. This encourages top-of-mind, primal thinking before the ego and judgmental brain kick in. Just set a timer, make your kid count to 600 slowly, whatever. It’s an honor system. And I trust you.
  • Aim for 250 words or less.
  • Please have fun. Don’t put pressure on yourself. Together, let’s rediscover the simple joy in the writing process.
  • Post your submission in the comments OR post in your blog and leave a link to your blog in the comments.

Wanna catch up on the PROMPTuesdays archive? It’s here.

*It was a plane crash. Good thing it wasn’t a traumatic reason or anything. Don’t they make lobotomy pills for stupid idiots with inappropriate question disorder?

« « Swap Mamas!    |    Where I Learned To Be Sweet » »

On January 27th, 2009, Da Goddess said:

You got two for the low price of one from me. I caught up on last week’s, too.

On January 27th, 2009, Blognut said:

I shall go on ad nauseum, (because that is what I do), and you’re dying to hear about cleaning offices for a spice factory in Yorkville, Illinois. You are… you know it… and you will be holding your breath for the post, I’m sure.

On January 27th, 2009, matteroffactmommy said:

my dad is an amputee and people ask him all the time “what’s wrong with your leg?” (and by “people”, i mean CHILDREN. hehehe.)

On January 27th, 2009, Karelle said:

It’s not pretty, witty, or interesting, but I’m back in the saddle.

On January 27th, 2009, g said:

I’m there.

This one was fun – I thought about a time I had long forgotten.

On January 27th, 2009, Kate said:

I enjoyed writing about my first job; as clerk turned phlebotomist in a hospital lab in Houston.

On January 27th, 2009, PROMPTuesday - My First Job | KristiBug said:

[…] Kristi on January 27, 2009 · 0 comments This week, tell us about your first job. As I recently twittered, I worked at the Jelly Bowl Bakery in bucolic Buffalo Grove, Ill., and […]

On January 27th, 2009, KristiBug said:

Ahh, my first job :) Edwards Cinema. Don’t eat the pretzels. Trust me.

On January 27th, 2009, Melanie @ MelADramatic Mommy said:

Hahahaha! I laughed several times on the way home. Don’t worry, I think he wasn’t offended. BTW What were you doing up till 4AM?

On January 27th, 2009, Melanie @ MelADramatic Mommy said:

My first job was at Wet Seal. was 15 and it was the new, hot store to shop in. I jumped up and down screaming when I found out I got the job. Some of my other high school friends worked there too. We were well paid and totally fashionable! I would cash my checks and go right back to shop. When I started dating hubby he worked at the CVS right across the mall. Ah, memories!

On January 27th, 2009, Blognut said:

DONE! The day almost got away from me, but the memory block has been lifted and the story has been told.

On January 27th, 2009, stephanie (bad mom) said:

This is a brilliant prompt to which I would love to respond, if I were not already procrastinating to the point of potential joblessness.

In the meantime, I have awarded you (despite your present feelings of jackassness, which I’m not sure are founded, but I digress) with a Fabulous badge at my place :D

On January 27th, 2009, Me said:

Would you believe it? McDonalds. Oh my gosh.

On January 28th, 2009, tinsenpup said:

…and that’s the story of how I lost both of my arms and learned to type with my feet… Or perhaps just some rubbish about my first job and my

boss’ big fat fleshy lips.

On January 28th, 2009, ilinap said:

I worked in a party goods store. I fucked up a stationery order from a hoity toity client and got fired. The memory is too painful to conjure up more details. Thanks for adding more fodder to my imaginary therapy sessions I have in my head. I vowed never to work again but learned the hard way that there was no silver spoon in my mouth.

On January 28th, 2009, San Diego Momma said:

Here’s mine! I broke all my rules. Because I can.

Where I Learned to Be Sweet