PROMPTuesday #15: One Word Says It All

July 28th, 2008

New to PROMPTuesday? Welcome! Find out more here.

Meanwhile, today’s writing prompt is going to be simple (in name only).

Write about deception. Whatever that means to you. Can be fact or fiction.

As always, here are PROMPTuesday’s rules:

• You must write your entry in 10 minutes. This encourages top-of-mind, primal thinking before the ego and judgmental brain kick in. Just set a timer, make your kid count to 600 slowly, whatever. It’s an honor system. And I trust you.
  • Keep to 250 words or less.*
  • Please have fun. Don’t put pressure on yourself. Together, let’s rediscover the simple joy in the writing process.
  • Post your submission in the comments OR post in your blog and leave a link to your blog in the comments.

Interested in reading past PROMPTuesdays? Catch up here.

And! Last week, I promised there’d be a winner in honor of PROMPTuesday’s three-month anniversary, and sure enough there is…Momma Mary! Come on down! You’ve won yourself either a mix CD of my “museic” or a $20 Amazon gift certificate. Your choice! Pick one and e-mail me for your super fantab gift.

In the meantime, write on.

*If you find yourself going way over 250 words, say, this PROMPT inspired a full-length post or what-have-you, please don’t limit yourself. Fly! Be free! Just please post the longer submission to your blog and leave the link in the comments below. (Thanks!)

« « Never the Same Since    |    Monster on My Wing » »

On July 28th, 2008, Mekhis Mom said:

You met me and wanted we
But there was she and I had he
You dumped she I dumped he
And well, we became we

The fire burned intensely
But distance kept us apart
Visits monthly but we needed
A brand new start
I shut things down and moved to you

That exercise was more than we both bargained for
You stayed at work late
I was home alone
We were together more when we could only talk on the phone

At a party I saw a friend jump to you quick
I noted it and meant to address it later but didn’t
I’d moved to get married, I asked you and then
You were not ready
I asked once again

You asked me to move
I said okay
You came to visit but apparently you’d been out to play
No cellphone in hand to tell me when you’d arrive
I called our (your) home thinking a message you’d left

I heard her voice and knew that clearly there had been a theft
When confronted you crumbled
Said it was only a kiss
But I knew then and know now that something was clearly amiss

But we tried to move on
For four years of our lives
You’d ask me time and again to marry you……no not yet
Finally I agreed
We announced to the world

Unfortunately trepidation set in
I couldn’t go through with our plans

I left you alone and treated you badly
Again and again.

On July 29th, 2008, tinsenpup said:

Yay! I finally managed to complete a PROMPTuesday before Wednesday. Here it is.

On July 29th, 2008, slouching mom said:

Here’s mine, thanks:

Deception

On July 29th, 2008, Cheri @ Blog This Mom! said:

Here’s Blog This Mom!’s submission.

Thanks for hosting Deb! Once again, great prompt! Now . . . I’m off to read the others.

On July 29th, 2008, San Diego Momma said:

Here’s mine:

Thanks all.

On July 29th, 2008, Karelle said:

PROMPTuesday submission: http://happyhippyraindancer.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/deception/

On July 29th, 2008, Janet said:

Cheri @ Blog This Mom! pointed this out to me last week, but I wasn’t ready to play; I am quite ready this week, and it’s up: http://fondofsnape.com/?p=1806

It was fun; be gentle!

On July 29th, 2008, ilinap said:

Love the idea of a prompt! I needed this today to get my head out of the toy induced slump I’m in.

Enjoy my take on Deception.

On July 29th, 2008, Jess said:

Thanks! You should check out my prompt for today, and yesterday’s post from my Creative Writing final.

Thanks again!

On July 29th, 2008, Temple Stark said:

Ok, I’m starting NOW.

On July 29th, 2008, VeryTas |-Reality Be Damned For Truth » PROMPTuesday 15 - Deception, Never Enough said:

[…] PROMPTuesday#15. Write about deception. Whatever that means to you. Can be fact or fiction. […]

On July 29th, 2008, Temple Stark said:

Here it is

e blinked. He’d heard that, right?

Tom, tired of waiting had gone across the street. At the counter now under the too-bright lights he endured the ghastly smile of the guy behind the counter. He dropped his drinks, chips, cookies, gum, energy pills, eggs (on a regretful whim), brake fluid, shriveled hot dogs, newspapers, magazines and Spanish-language CD.

The Sobe bottle clunked, which roused him out of his reverie. Self-reflective to a fault he knew he’d dropped it all absent-mindedly still thinking about the man and the woman in the cooler door corner. “I recognize him,” Tom thought. “It’s gonna bug the f— out of me now.”

On July 29th, 2008, Fleur de Lisa » Blog Archive » Deception said:

[…] saw PROPTuesday over at Janet’s and the topic intrigued me so I’m giving it a whirl. Sir Walter Scott […]

On July 29th, 2008, Lisa said:

I saw this at Janet’s and liked the idea of a prompt so I gave it a whirl this week too.

On July 29th, 2008, Tanya Kyi said:

Mine’s up, better late than never!

On July 29th, 2008, tinsenpup said:

Every week I come away thinking, “Wow, they’re all so good.” There must be something in the quality of the inspiration when it results in so much (and such a variety) of excellent work.

On July 30th, 2008, Temple Stark said:

Mekhis Mom, Jess, Cheri – and DaGoddess last week I think – I don’t know you “guys” do poetry in 10 minutes. I can’t.

I think I left a comment everywhere.

We need more guys. Wait, what am I saying ;-)

Temple (a guy)

On July 30th, 2008, Lea said:

Saw this over at Janet & Lisa’s…and was prompted to write!

On July 30th, 2008, Momma Mary said:

Aw… I missed it. :( I know I can still put one up… and I might. I’ll be back if I do!

On July 30th, 2008, Cocktail Maven said:

Without intention
Her predilection
For effusive affection
Feeds misconception
Of deception
With no connection
To the truth

Defamation
Confrontation
Protestation
Isolation
Litigation
And a man of station
Gets a hot new secretary

On August 4th, 2008, DaGoddess.com » A Very Late PROMPTuesday - Deception said:

[…] From Deb: […]

On August 4th, 2008, Da Goddess said:

Better late than never, right?